Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Dragon Wing

The battle for my idle hands was won by a knitting pattern I had seen fly across my twitter dashboard a few days ago. It's call a Dragon Wing Cowl and I thought it looked ever so interesting. Luckily I had plenty of plain black yarn on hand in the right thickness, so I was ready to go. It started out with a hell of a lot of garter stitch. I hate the look of garter stitch, but I trusted the pattern and knitted all throughout the morning of schooling. The rows got longer and longer and I was worried that I wouldn't finish it in one day. I really wanted to see the next step, because it's the reason I started on this boring garter stitch mass.

I kept at it and after an incredibly long day of schooling, there was an essay involved, I got to the next step. I dropped rows of stitches. It was painful to do, but kind of fun as well. They are dropped all the way to the beginning of the piece for the next step which is the one I was really waiting for.







You pick up all the dropped stitches and reknit them in bundles. Doesn't it look neat. I used a crochet hook and the process was fiddly as hell, but I was determined to finish my idle hands project in one day. I was actually still doing the braided spines while I was cooking dinner. I finished the piece right after we finished eating, a glass of wine in hand.

Now there was some talk of blocking in the pattern, but I never block anything, so this is what it looks like all done. I didn't have any buttons on hand to finish it properly, so I dug about my hoard of supplies and decided to use some jewelry toggle bars instead. I did sew them on in a way that will help with their removal should I acquire proper buttons in the future, but honestly I think it looks fine and it cost me nothing to make since I had everything already, just a day's worth of idle, project hungry hands.

The pattern is available free from Jessie At Home, if anyone
else is interested in taking a knitting day.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my hands today. Here's hoping it's something interesting at least.



4 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

It's great for this time of year kinda of bat wing looking :) love the effect of the spaces left it fun!

craftie sylvie said...

Lovely pattern! Thanks for the link :)

SWtrompeter said...

IT's gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! You have done a fabulous job with this :)