Friday, May 22, 2015

More Bobbins

Yet another day full of bobbin lace. Yes, I did do a few other things including schooling the kids, watching some show and even some cleaning, but most of my spare time was with bobbins, thread and so many pins. This is the piece I spent most of the day on. The book has moved onto Buck's Point lace. I admit that it's a bit fiddlier than the Torchon, but I like the look of the ground here. There are still mistakes aplenty, but I did much better with my bobbin handling here.

After this one I went onto the second pattern which includes a new technique called gimps. I can't say as I'm a fan really, but it's not impossibly difficult. It is however so full of pins that I couldn't get a picture of the lace in progress to save my life. I guess you'll have to wait until I get it off the board to see how badly that one turns out.

I have been asked a couple of time what book I'm using to learn. Well I stumbled upon this site while trying to interpret the instructions that came with my Lacis bobbin kit, Jo Edkins' Lace Website. It was so helpful that when I saw she had a couple of kindle books, I downloaded them both. Since I have Kindle Unlimited they are free for me to essentially 'borrow' as long as I need them. The only one I've used so far is How To Make Bobbin Lace. I won't say that it's the perfect text, there are still points where I felt like there was too little instruction, particularly what to do between some elements, but it's gotten me this far and I'm quite grateful for that. Her book also links back to her website where the patterns you need to print are hosted. I know there are plenty of books out there, but it was suggested that it's easier to learn from one source at first to avoid conflicting terminology and I'm a sucker for instantly available information, so I'll stick with Jo until I'm comfortable enough to interpret patterns myself. I think it might be awhile before I stray.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Thank you so much for the info. I am hoping that by the end of June I will receive all my supplies from the U.S. Meanwhile, tatting it is! I forgot to mention it the other day, but I am sad about your loss of your kitty. I know my sweet, naughty girl is very much a part of our family. Losing a fur baby is hard, hard, hard, but I would not do without to save the heartache later. <3