Monday, June 23, 2014

Weekend Recap

We had quite the whirlwind weekend around here. My house is currently full of siblings and yesterday evening we had most of the family over. I was pretty much completely focused on getting the house ready for guests and now, with spending time with them since we don't see them very often.

In tatting news, I was told over the weekend, as part of one of my, 'please don't sell things made with my patterns'  dramas, that I could be sued/fined for making a legal claim. Now, I don't know how true that is, particularly since I don't think I actually make a legal claim, but a request,. It did however,  put me in another mood. I don't think it unreasonable to allow someone who created something and shares it freely to help spread the art of tatting to simply request that they not make a profit with the free pattern. At that point I am simply hoping that people will be kind enough to respect that request. I definitely could never afford to sue someone. I was linked to a site seemingly made for ebay sellers who are being contacted by major sewing pattern companies to stop selling garments made with their patterns. The site seems to dispute all legal claims those companies have over the products made with them or with licensed fabric. I tried to explain the major difference here is I am not a large corporation trying to steamroll the little guy. I am the little guy too. Anyway, I don't think anyone changed their mind on the subject, but I know I'm a already more apprehensive about future pattern sharing.

In better news, I did sell a couple of pieces from the shop over the weekend. That not only made my weekend much better, but gives me some tatting tasks today and I am definitely looking forward to some hard work. I also played with the last doodle motif a bit, but there is much more work to be done with it. If I finished remaking, I'll get back to that. So, here's to a drama free week where no one mentions legal action in a threatening way.

No comments: