Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Day In The Life

As I was pretty darn focused on tatting yesterday, I have nothing too interesting to share with you from my days events. That said, there was one comment on yesterday's post that gave me something to think about and so that's what I'm going to share today.

The question was, how many hours do I tat a day? Of course there's no answer that covers every day, but I thought maybe I'd just walk you through a typical day and give you an idea of the nonsense that goes on around here.  I get up around 4:30 in the morning. Sleeping in is not an option even on weekends as the cats are determined to eat before 5, so they are fed first then it's into the computer room. Yes, we have a computer room...don't ask how many computers are in there, it's less ridiculous than it used to be. Anyway, this is when I check emails, pack orders if there are any, blog and read the news. I even occasionally walk on the treadmill. I also use this time to get laundry, dishes or other housework started including my favorite, the kitty litter. Then, it's upstairs to shower, get dressed and face the daylight. Breakfast, coffee, morning news, more blogging and little light tatting until the kids are down and have eaten their breakfast. At this point it's back up the stairs for hours of schooling.

If I'm really busy in the shop I bring my tatting with me and get a little done during the classes that don't require my physical involvement. If the shop is slow, I just work with the kids. Schooling is usually mostly wrapped by lunchtime and we all take a break for that. Around one, it's back to tatting. The afternoon is mostly tatting interrupted by occasional housework and whatever the kids need. I steal a couple of hours to catch up on television while tatting, usually during the youngest child's nap while the older child reads. I will keep tatting on and off all evening taking a break for dinner and up until we all head upstairs to wind down for the night before bedtime. We're out by 9. Don't laugh, you see how late you can stay up when you rise before the sun.

So I tried to do the math on the actual hours spent with a needle and thread in my hands and on the short end it's about 4 hours and on the long end almost 8. I spent much of that time with a laptop next to me so I can be fully available online and fully available to the family as well. I have been getting better about spending more weekend time just being with the family, but if we sit to watch a movie or something else sedentary, the tatting gets pulled out. It's definitely my full time job and I can't imagine there are too many other people out there with this many hours to spend tatting, but it's what I do.

I hope that wasn't too boring a read for you. It's not a glamorous life and I don't have much time for anything else too interesting, but I do get to spend my day with my favorite people. Well, it's about time for me to get to that housework stuff and I have much tatting on tap for today, so I'm off for another typical day.

No comments: