Thursday, June 28, 2012

For A Dog

As expected, I did no tatting yesterday. We gave presents, we shopped, we ate, we got our phones checked out at the Apple store and we came home. The husband appeared to have had a good day. This does not mean that I don't have an interesting story to tell though.

Before we left for the day I got an interesting query. Without going into too many details, the request was one for my tatted eye patch, but for a large dog who was losing her eye. Quite honestly I balked at the whole idea partly because I've actually repaired lace destroyed by a dog. So I shared my concerns with the customer and after some back and forth we settled on a modified version with the lace attached to an existing eye patch. By the end of the day the project request was rescinded due to new circumstances. Of course this is only the surface story, it's the one under it that I really wanted to tell.

I've been presented with a great many odd requests over the years, some became popular pieces like my mask and other times the request was met with so much skepticism on my part that I never even tried to make it happen. Now of course often that reaction was the correct one. After a while you begin to understand the lace and what it is capable of becoming or doing. I generally know what is truly impossible. This eye patch query put me in a strange position though. While others agreed it seemed kind of crazy, they all encouraged me to do it because it sounded cool. Eventually I believed it was actually possible and once I did the method to create it became clear. So I suppose the moral of the story is, don't give up on an idea just because it seems crazy. Think on it a while, ask someone else if it's crazy. Work through how it could be done before you emphatically deny its possibility.

I'm actually kind of bummed that I won't get to make one now, but I'm not going to do it just because. It really is a project that needs a reason to be created, but at least I know that I could have done it. So today I have nothing planned as I wait for the arrival of my ribbon to finish the bridal sash. I'm toying with the idea of making a bridal back drop necklace as well. I figure that might flesh out my wedding section in the shop. Of course I'm not sure I have a crystal that will work on hand and I might have to go shopping for that. Yeah, I guess I really don't know what I'm doing today, but what it turns out to be is likely to be less interesting that what I almost had to make.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you are excited about the project, maybe you should make it just for the joy of making it. You never know, someone else may see it and decide they need it or know someone who lost an eye that might like something pretty to wear instead of the standard boring black eye patch. ^_^

Unknown said...

the way i see it you are very unique not with your art only,but as a personality too,so making a tatted eye patch,not only for a dog,woul be something very crazy to make,it would be your style, so go for it:)!!