Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Aftermath

Let me just say this, shipping twenty-six orders in one day is not something I want to do on a regular basis. Everyone who has a little micro business judges how well things are going a little different. Someone who sells thousand dollar pieces of artwork might be happy with a sale a week. Supplies sellers seem to get dozens a day. Me, I'd like just one or two sales a day and that would keep me busy, so you can imagine this pendant deal is not something I'm used to dealing with. First there was making them for nearly two days trying to keep up as the orders came in on Sunday. Then, there was the one person assembly line to fit them with findings and ribbons. Then there was writing all the cards to go in the packages and getting each order put together. Then I printed all the labels and got the envelopes ready. Finally it was double checking the list, wrapping and putting each order in the correct envelope. I know it seems silly to write all this out, but I wanted you to get a sense of the tediousness of the task that took most of the day. On a nice note, they are all going in the mail today, so if you bought one, it's coming!

In other news, I got a special piece of jewelry in the mail yesterday. Remember the silver lace jewelry story I told you about on Friday? Well, I have my own piece and now I'm even sadder that it isn't just available for everyone to own. This piece is gorgeous and there's this nice weight to it being that it's solid sterling. I know it's hard to see all the detail in the piece, but you can literally see every twist of the thread all the way around the piece. Her craftsmanship shows all of my craftsmanship in the original cast piece. I'd go on because I really really love it, but since they are no longer available, it just seems cruel somehow.

If you've been paying attention at home, you know that today is the first day of testing for the oldest and the youngest has her fifth birthday today. We will be off on adventures most of the day due to these two events. I can't imagine that I'll get any time to tat at all, but if I do, it's just remaking again. Ah, spring...you do keep me busy in your own way, don't you.


5 comments:

louine said...

It is just lovely.....I ordered a pendant and earrings......they were just too pretty to resist and knowing that they were very limited and the history of the pieces made me really want them.....thanks for the heads up and sale code.
BTW, I tried to comment to the posting on Friday but it did not show up.

TotusMel said...

@louine Hmm, I checked my spam folder and there wasn't anything there so I don't know what happened there and it doesn't look like I got an order from you either as I didn't get any orders for earrings at all, very curious.

Anonymous said...

Pamela, thank you for sharing this. I always like to read what you write about how you run your business.

That tatted silver pendant is just beautiful. I did check them out when you first posted about them but now seeing yours I really do wonder how they were made. It's not something I do, and I don't have the budget to work in silver, I just think it's a clever idea.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela! Happy birth-day (you can celebrate *you* too!)

I am glad the International tatting day pendant was a success!

The silver tatting looks amazing, congratulation to your friend too.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that pendant is lovely! What a nice thing to have. Hope birthdays and testing went well :)