Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Really?

Holy crap people. okay, so perhaps I have not been starting my posts in a dignified manner lately, but as I said at the end of yesterdays post, it's been really weird in my world. I started the day with low expectations, but as soon as I was out of the shower I had an email from the folks with the large order and they agreed to my half now, half when completed scenario and made the first payment. I went straight to work on the 60 piece order. Yes, I said 60 pieces. Just like the fashion show, I have adopted assembly line creation. It is 20 each of three different items, but they are all made up of several motifs, so I've making all the small bits first. This of course means that nothing will be completed for a spell, but as soon as all the bits are done the finished pieces should fly off the needle.

Then...I got an email I didn't actually expect to receive. Just after lunch, I received a reply from the epic project people. After a few more emails back and forth, it became clear they they were in fact going to move forward with my work. I'm still waiting for payment, but that didn't stop me from getting started as the deadline looms. Oh and what they need from me was actually more than the person I have been corresponding with thought initially. So far I have already created one completely new design and am about halfway on the second. I will have one more new design to create and I have to make multiples of each. You don't know how glad I am that I jumped the gun on the 60 piece order. I had finished enough of it prior to being paid that I have a bit of a time cushion built up. Still, I should be ridiculously busy for some time.

It is also driving me crazy that I can't tell anyone what I'm making or who I'm making it for. I just have to keep reminding myself that this too could fall apart and telling people will only make the fall worse. So I shall treat it like a pregnancy, I won't tell anyone until I'm showing, just in case. I've already put a notice up in the shop that all custom orders will have an extra month of lead time and I'll try to get a minute today to adjust all the custom listings to note that as well. I thought about taking them down entirely, but I don't want these side projects to have too big an effect on my everyday business. I still have hundreds of ready to ship pieces, even if I can't remake anything for awhile I should still look pretty well stocked.

Well, I think I've reached the point of ramble and I really don't have any time for that sort of nonsense. So off I go, wish me speedy fingers and much luck!

2 comments:

FetishGhost said...

WoW! You are seriously having fun!

Sewicked said...

Whoohoo, let's hear it for big orders that pay half up front. Have fun and I can't wait to hear details (when you can reveal them, naturally).