Friday, February 4, 2011

Lost

There is definitely something to be said for deadlines or maybe I'm just the sort of person who needs them. I managed to stay on task much of the day. I did get distracted by shoe shopping again, but I finally settled on a nice light beige pair...at least I hope that's what color they turn out to be so they work for photos. I managed to get all but two pieces in queue made up when I got yet another 'lost package' message.

This holiday seasons aftermath has brought me at least three missing international packages. Luckily they have all been smaller pieces so replacing and refunding hasn't been all that painful, but they are making me seriously reconsider shipping outside the country. The option is to jack up the shipping costs to a more traceable method and pass those costs onto the customer. I suppose that might work out just fine when shipping really expensive things, but I certainly wouldn't want to pay $10 or $15 shipping on a $9 pendant. Yeah, I don't know what I'll end up doing. I'm probably just venting here to get it off my chest and won't change a thing, but it does make me wonder what larger companies do when shipments go missing. I ordered supplies from a smaller one and they were delivered elsewhere and the company just told me to go to the post office to track it down. Of course I didn't and they finally arrived about a month later. Is that standard practice, to just tell the customer, 'oh, well, not our fault' and move on. That just doesn't feel right to me even though it's not strictly my fault.

Anyway, I will finish up the stocking today and I've got a few ideas brewing in my head that just might burst free before I start the next round of stocking pieces. I want to get some of the masks listed as custom made up and ready to ship as well since Mardi Gras is just around the corner. Thought o be honest I don't sell all that many for this holiday. Maybe they're not glitzy enough for that, still better safe than sorry.

2 comments:

Jane Eborall said...

Not you too? My problems stemmed from mail posted on 14th & 15th December via Royal Fail. At least one packet hasn't arrived in the USA yet. They will get there, I'm sure but I DO wish they'd hurry. Who's end is at fault is the big question!

Tracy said...

We've been living in Puerto Rico for the past few years, and have had constant problems with stuff not arriving on time. Our record for long shipping is 8 months for a watch won on ebay. Shockingly, the battery was dead when it finally showed up ;) Here's what I found: insure the item - it's only a buck or so. Doesn't give you tracking, but when the package goes missing, open a claim and the USPS will then track it from the back side. At the very least, you'll be compensated for your remake time if it really did jump off the plane and into the Bermuda Triangle. Good luck!