Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Purple Cabochon

From a pure productivity stance, I had a near perfect day yesterday. I got most of a mask remade before I even started schooling. Then after I finished that, the sun had burned off enough fog to get pictures of the two new pieces. I got one of those listed, saved the second for today and then started to work on another one. My grandfather went out a couple of times during the day to adventure which allowed me time to run around and get a few other things done unencumbered. I even managed to get the dishes and laundry done and by the time I had wrapped up the new piece and my house tasks I received an order that needed making, keeping me busy the rest of the day.

So back to the new tatting. I had received these filigree settings for cabochons in a previous grab bag, so I bought some cabs to go in them. I initially intended to make a repeatable design, but I found some more copper filigree bits in the grab bag and another one of a kind piece was born. The stone was called 'mountain jade' which I have a feeling translates to, dyed piece of rock, but it's a pretty purple. I got some in green and red as well, but I have used up all the filigree pieces that match as well as all the copper chain I had, so the next cab piece will likely be pretty different. I also used some flora thread I had bought on a color searching whim. It's not my favorite thread to work with, but again the color was perfect.

While I was working on the new piece, I also managed to break a size 9 steel crochet hook. The hook tip just snapped right off and shot into my lap. So that makes a crochet hook and a tatting needle that I have managed to snap in twain. Either I am much stronger than I look or I have used these things to their literal breaking point. I guess I need to shop for some stronger tools...or work less. Yeah, I'm shopping. I'm using the size 8 now, but if that one goes, I will have a seriously bad day.

Tonight I'm hosting the family dinner for everyone to spend time with Grandpa, so I might try to get some cleaning done, though I have really let go of the illusion that the house stays clean for family. I mean really, these are the people who lived through all the messes of my childhood. I can't really be fooling anyone with a temporarily clean floor so do I really need to bother. I already got all the listing pictures taken for the new purple piece, so that one and the other one from the day before should get listed today and I will be working on the order I got yesterday evening for the rest of the day. Maybe I'll get to play with another cab, but who really knows?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you do it!


It seems that you are so busy, I can't fathom how you manage to get time in for all the tatting!

Are you Wonder Woman? (lol)

Jen (pieKnits) said...

Just Beautiful! Wonderful combination of all the pieces.

Unknown said...

Una pieza realmente EXQUISITA, Felicidades por tu genial cretividad y gracias por compartirla con nosotros. Las ideas nuevas son como agua fresca.

Deborah said...

Beautiful! I finally tatted last night - shuttle and picots and everything! I just can't figure out how to make the small rings...

Wildcat said...

I really enjoy this piece^_^ For all I have no idea what a Cabochon is. Where do you get all the pieces you have in your "grab bag" you keep mentioning? Just...wherever? Keep on keepin' on!

TotusMel said...

Thanks!
@wildcat, the grab bag is the 'boss bag' from Fire Mountain Gems. I buy one every time I make a supply order because I love them so.