Monday, January 4, 2010

The Mask Revealed

Illness had been surrounding me for a spell now and it finally laid it's clammy little claws on my. It's just a head cold, but I feel...unpleasant. The fog in my head kept me from getting around to all those things I wanted to start. On the plus side though, that allowed me to simply focus on one thing since it was all I had the patience for. So guess what's done. Yep, the mask...she is complete.

As I finished up the sequins it was apparent that I needed to highlight the center motif somehow. The shine of the sequins while difficult to capture on film, really took all the attention and it was meant to be a backdrop not the main show. So here's where an impulse purchase came in handy. I'd seen these neat sew on swarovski crystals last time I put in a supply order and picked them up for no other reason than I though they looked neat and someday I might try them out. Using the dreaded silver filament and I sewed around the edges of the center motif adding crystals as I went.

After just the center I knew I was onto something and I continues in this manner to highlight the entire motif. I also took the crystals all the way down the edge of the nose creating a subtle Gothic looking cross motif. If you really know me, that might be slightly amusing, but the effect is perfect for the design of the mask. At this point I was asked by my husband if I was anywhere near done with this thing and as I answered yes, I realized that there was yet one more thing to do to really tie the whole piece together. I needed to continue the embroidery around the edge of the mask in the most subtle way possible.

Everything about this mask has been basically unplanned. All the design elements flowed as they were needed. I wanted the edge to have just the slightest pop so rather than sew around entire rings or chains , I followed a single edge of the rings creating a undulating line that occasionally slips behind the sequins. Honestly as I sewed and tatted for weeks on this thing I really never 'got' how well it really was turning out. Why? Because I had never looked at it in the light. Finally finished save for a few loose end to be hidden, I took the piece to the bathroom, turned on all the lights and placed the thing on my face. Wow. My biggest failure is as a photographer...you are absolutely not seeing what I'm seeing. It shines, it sparkles and I am so glad it is done. No, you do not get a picture of the mask on my face. Remember I'm sick and the ones I took reflect that very well with dull, puffy eyes, unkempt hair and a slightly sallow skin tint. See, not attractive, so this is the only picture you get of the whole mask until I look better.
I hope you've enjoyed the creation process on this piece. I think this is the first time I've detailed one from beginning to completion so thoroughly. I will of course let you know what happens with her. Whether she meets her intended destiny or becomes an exorbitantly priced art piece. It has been quite a project to be sure.

16 comments:

rabbitwhiskers said...

Wow!!! This is amazing!! It's gorgeous!I loved reading your blog post about how you made it, too. It's wonderful! Thanks for sharing. I love tatting, but really know almost nothing about it. I'm very interested! Thanks for sharing. I hope you're well soon!

Plump Fairy said...

Stunning piece of work! thanks for sharing the process. It should be exorbitantly priced, it really is beautiful.

Athena's Armoury said...

She's stunning! Absolutely gorgeous work.

Kim said...

WOW - so worth the effort! It's awesome!

Emi said...

Gorgeous! As rabbit said, it has been fun watching the creation process of this piece! it has turned out absolutely incredibly and I think you can be really proud of yourself for making something so stunning without a particular plan, it really shows off the artist in you.

Trinity Lea said...

that turned out absolutely spectacularly!!

Waterrose said...

Just incredible. I keep looking at all of the detail. I also love the sew in swavorski crystals. But, like you I use them in moderation. I think it is absolutely an art piece....heirloom.

. c h o k l i t . said...

Your details on this one are incredible. Looks ready for the Venetian Carnivale. Great work!!!

Sheela Goh said...

Pam, it's exquisite!! I love how you've used sequins! I've been meaning to make one too, wire-wrapped, but it's still on the (ever growing) To Do List.

It's DIVINE.

AJ said...

Simply breath-taking! Love where your inspiration took you with the silver thread and Swarovskis :)

Artsnark said...

well done! Hope you feel better soon

connie said...

I wish I had a reason or need to wear a mask. This is exquisite.
Thanks for posting this all along.
I enjoyed it very much.
Feel Better Soon
Connie

Sara said...

Wow.

Summer said...

Wow. Inspiring and incredible. Amazing work! I hope it finds a good home:)

Gina said...

I seem to have that head thing now. This was the last post I read of yours & I remember I was going to comment later...and later it is! It has turned out stunning and I so wish I could see it in person and touch it, turn it over, see it from all angles. You have every right to be proud of this piece!

Dena LaRae said...

I love your work in a general sense, REALLY, but this...stunning. Exquisite. Incredible. I agree with another comment, I only wish I had ANY excuse to wear a mask! I have no idea how you could ever put a price on this, but I know it would be worth every penny!